Sunday, January 3, 2010

I Am Hip Hop...Part Deaux

What's up family. Yesterday I talked about the music project I'm working on, I Am Hip Hop Too, and I wanted to provide further insight into what it is, and what it isn't.

Who Is It For...

I Am Hip Hop Too is a CD that is aimed at the "tweens", kids 8 - 12 or so. Now this isn't exact because as I played the very very rough draft version of it while driving, I noticed my two year old son was enjoying the music as well. And I would venture to guess that since the artists on it are 14 and 15 years old, that their peers would probably enjoy the music as well. I really wouldn't be surprised if adults enjoyed it too because what I'm trying to do is make it authentic. What I mean by "authentic" is I'm putting together songs with good beats and good rhymes.

Also, the main characters are females. As I mentioned in the previous blog post, the CD is aiming to provide females with music that actually uplifts and encourages them, not something the puts them down. My general assumption is that mostly females will listen to and identify with the music, but that doesn't mean that boys can't enjoy it as well. The music and lyrics are gender neutral for the most part, it's just that the people delivering the messages will be females.

What It Is...

I Am Hip Hop Too is a "concept" CD, meaning that the CD will follow a storyline. There have been Hip Hop artists who have put out concept CDs most notably, Little Brother's The Minstrel Show, Wyclef's Carnival, Prince Paul's Prince Among Thieves, and Kanye's College Dropout. I Am Hip Hop Too will follow the story of a young lady who is told that "girls can't rap" and she sets out to prove her doubters wrong by trying to create her own group. This is somewhat different from the original script I wrote, but this is what it is moving forward.

When Will It Be Done...

I'm hesitant to put a finish date on it, because I still have to find a few of the "cast members" (I'm viewing it as if it was a film or a Broadway play). I also have to finish re-writing the new script. My goal is to have it completed by August 2010 at the very latest, in order for us to be eligible for the 2011 Grammy Awards. (Our major goal is to win the award for Best Children's Album). Working with the young ladies that are currently on board has shown me that things aren't going to happen as quickly as I initially thought (I was under the fantasy that I could finish the CD in 3 months). Since I am working with people who have zero experience making a song, I have to take into consideration the learning curve. The young ladies I'm working with now are pretty quick learners, so they are getting a great deal of experience doing their first songs, and that should make it easier to do subsequent songs (or so goes my theory). So, again, I am looking at August or sooner.

Where Is It Being Done...

Currently all recording takes place at my house in my pre-production "studio". My currently consists of a Gateway laptop, loaded with Sony Acid and Sony Sound Forge software, a microphone, and headphones. Viola! Now, when it is time to go into a professional studio, I plan on using Urban Intalek Studios out of Washington DC. I have done a few projects at Urban Intalek and am very comfortable with their facilities and skills. We may do some stuff at another studio, but that hasn't been finalized as of this moment.

Why Is This Being Done...

I pretty much explained the "why" part in my previous blog. I will add to that by saying that instead of complaining about the state of hip hop, how it disrespects women, how the kids need something for them, etc etc etc, I decided to DO something about it. This is my way of solving what I see as "problems". I can bitch and moan from now 'til the end of time, but that won't do any good. I decided to take action and make something that I believe can make a difference. Will it change the world? I don't know, but it will change the world of the young ladies who are making it. It will change my world because I would have given (and received) a great deal of positive energy into the project. And who knows who else the CD might affect. But it won't have an affect on anyone if it is never done. My goal is to sell millions and millions of records (or songs) worldwide. And if that does become the reality, then I would have affected millions and millions of people, and that would be awesome!! If we only sell one copy, then affecting that one life is still a great thing. So hopefully you will support our efforts to do great things....I KNOW you will!

Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment