Monday, January 18, 2010

Everybody Is A Star...

...Or so the lyrics to the song go. Well, I definitely know my fair share of people who have the desire to be a star, and in this day and age there are quite a few resources that you can use to put you on a "different level" so to speak. We know that the web has helped launch many (so called) stars careers, but on a more closer-to-home level is Community Television, or Public Access Television.

Public Access?!??

Yeah homie, public access. Turn your nose up at it if you want to, but it is a very viable vehicle to get your message out to your community. Yeah, it's limited to just your community, but beleive me, when you are walking down the street or shopping in the supermarket and someone stops you and says "Hey, I saw you on TV last night!" you will feel just like you would if you were in Hollywood.

I know many public access shows are crappy, but hey, that's their perogative to be crappy if they choose. BUT there are some very high quality shows on public access. And if you can get past the low production costs, you will also see that there are many shows that have very good content. Much better than some of the nonesense you see on the high profile stations.

And besides, public access is a very cost efficient way for folks to learn a skill and put their work in front of others. Although it doesn't happen often, you do have those who graduate from public access to the "big time" (Rachel Ray is an example).

Public Access and Me

I got into public access television back in 1999. I started out taking a 10 week class at Montgomery Community Television in Rockville, Md. One day we got a flier or newsletter or something in the mail, and there was as advertisement for public access television classes. At the time I was heavy into music, but I made the decision that once I finished the project I was working on at the time (The Cofe Shoppe), I was going to go ahead and get into TV.

After taking the class at Montgomery, I created a music video show Real Music Now. I was fortunate enough to have a good friend of mine who was already in the realm of tv and he gave me a ton of videos that people used to send to him. (That friend by the way is Big Tigga, formerly of Rap City). I used my show to spotlight ocal artists, the folks who I knew were likely to not get on the BET, MTV, or other major station shows. It was definitely well received, and i did it for several years.

I then moved on and joined DCTV, Washington DC's public access station. I took all the classes they had to offer, and it's been on ever since. With DCTV I've produced and directed countless shows both in the studio and in the field. It's a great feeling being behind the scenes. DCTV has it's own awards show, the Viewer's Choice Awards, and I've been fortunate enough to win numerous awards for my production. It may not be the Emmy's, but beleive me, it feels good all the same when your name gets called to come up and collect your award.

Public Access and You

Whatever your aspirations are, it's always a good idea to start out local. The likeliehood of you going from Nowhere, USA to Hollywood and landing a huge contract is slim to none. So a good thing to do is hone your skills at your local public/community access station. You want to be the next talk show king? Start one on public access. You want to report the news? Do it on public access. You want to be the next Dirk Diggler? Uhhhm, you gonna have to do that some where else!

Public access does have it's restrictions and limitations. So be sure to consult with them about what you want to do. It can be frustrating dealing with public/community access stations at times, but just keep everything in perspective. You get to produce your show and put it on the air for less than $150? That's a great deal. So what are you waiting for!?? Get your ass up, call your local public access station, and tell them Lamont sent you!! Nah, don't tell them that, but do get up, get out, and get something! Stop talking about the people on the tv, and become the person on tv people talk about!

Below you can view my "day in the life". I've shot footage of what I do to put together a show. I do NOT include the editing of the show, maybe I will do that on a different day, but for now, enjoy these two pieces...

Making Of A Public Access Show Part 1....



Making Of A Public Access Show Part 2....





And before I go, be sure to FOLLOW my blog! It's a little button on the side of the page and one at the top...THANKS!


No comments:

Post a Comment